Friday, April 26, 2013

Copyright, Fair Use Policies, and Prezi


As future teachers, it is important to model appropriate citations and seek permission to use copyrighted work because we have to be an example and model that which what we teach. How do we expect others to follow the rules when we cannot follow them ourselves; we have to

“walk the talk.”

I also believe that as future teachers, we can practice how to act accordingly so that we may teach it accordingly. Plagiarizing and copying work and not citing is a punishable crime like stealing, and even if you do not get caught, the academic crime still stands.


When creating a presentation it is important not to bombard the audience with too many words or irrelevant images or information. It is important to understand the audience and how much they can take in and focus on new information.

In this chapter I grew aware of the definition of design. I really only thought that design comes last, after the information is on the slides it is time to butter them up and make them look appealing, but designing goes hand and hand with the information; it is used to make the information effective and easy to read and understand.

I also noticed in all of my previous power points, there was always bullet pointed information, and the chapter explains how we need to use bullet points sparingly—they are only effective when summing down information, which means there will not be a lot of bullets!

I also picked up on the ‘empty-space’ technique, which is just like white space in a technical document. You do not want to overwhelm the audience with clutter and words. Your job as the creator is to simplify information and make it easy for the audience to understand and retain it.

Overall I think it is important to understand your audience and use principals of single-verse-noise, contrast, repetition, alignment, proximity and design to make the power point comprehensible. 



My Revised PREZI
In my HE 415 class I studied water fluoridation so I decided to share my knowledge of the subject in my power point. Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post. I liked this different colors of fonts. However, I went to look at your Prezi and it wouldn't open. I don't know if it was too big to load on my computer but I just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts and reflective posting this week. Keep doing this and your blog becomes a valuable resource for you down the road in when you begin teaching. I was also unable to take a look at your Prezi- I'm guessing it was set to "Present Online." Try hitting the blue "Present" button in the top left corner to see what that will do for your link.

    ReplyDelete